The majority of people who live and work in Oakland and San Francisco work for small companies and organizations. It’s important as we get closer to a big shopping season to make active choices about where you put your dollars.
Small businesses are the backbone of our local economies, but they also invest heavily in the neighborhoods where they operate, supporting schools, neighborhood initiatives, and creating jobs for our neighbors. When you spend money at a small business, more of that money stays in the local economy because small businesses hire local vendors, pay local taxes, create local jobs, and don’t have to send money to a corporate headquarters out of town. There are also many local businesses where you can get the same or similar products as you would online for the same price (and sometimes for less).
Local businesses in Oakland and San Francisco also make up and maintain the culture of our cities, making these places unique, fun, and creative places to live, work, and play. Make your holiday shopping count for more than just gifts this season by making conscious choices and shopping local.
Our partner Oakland Grown has a great list of 10 reasons to support independent businesses (click here for more on that).
- Local character and prosperity: the distinctive character of one-of-a-kind businesses creates an economic advantage to more homogenized places.
- Community wellbeing: local business support local causes and link neighbors together.
- Local decision-making: local people owning businesses experience the impact of local decisions, making them deeply invested in the community.
- Keeping dollars local: locally-owned businesses recycle a larger share of their revenue back into the local economy, compared to chain stores.
- Jobs and wages: locally-owned businesses create more jobs locally and in some sectors provide better wages and benefits than chain stores.
- Entrepreneurship: entrepreneurship fuels innovation and provides families a way to move from low-income to middle class.
- Public benefits and costs: local stores make more efficient use of space than big box stores and create thriving town centers.
- Environmental sustainability: vibrant town centers reduce sprawl, car use, habitat loss, and pollution.
- Competition: many small businesses competing keeps prices lower and helps ensure innovation.
- Product diversity: small businesses cater to their customers’ and communities’ needs, creating more product diversity and relevance.
We believe in all of these reasons, and invite you to share your favorite reasons with us on social media @mainstlaunch. Click here to find local business to support. We can’t wait to celebrate small businesses with you this holiday season!