This post was originally shared on September 14, 2016.
Each year from September 15 to October 15 the United States recognizes the contributions of Hispanic and Latino Americans and celebrates their heritage and culture. We want to celebrate by reflecting on the substantial (and growing!) impact of Hispanic and Latino entrepreneurs to our national economy.
There are over 3 million businesses owned by Hispanics and Latinos in the United States, and that number has grown over 20% since 2007. These firms generate over $500 billion in revenues each year. Nearly half of these firms are owned by Latinas and over 90% of Latina-owned firms are sole proprietorships.
Hispanic and Latino firms were concentrated in construction (15% of businesses), administrative/support/waste management and remediation services (14% of businesses), and health care and social assistance (10% of businesses).
Even though Hispanic-owned businesses are growing at an incredibly fast rate, but they still face barriers to scaling their companies. Research shows that Latino entrepreneurs are less likely to connect with local small business resources.
Here are some of our favorite Hispanic-owned businesses to help you celebrate for Hispanic Heritage Month:
- Cafe Santana – try their amazing coffee
- Emanuel Coffee – enjoy their incredible papusas
- Dirty Water – your neighborhood bar
- La Cosecha – revel in great daily specials
- Calavera – sip on delicious cocktails
- Cholita Linda – love their delectable fish tacos
- Sabores del Sur – alfajores!
- Manifesta – appreciate a gorgeous hair cut
- Nido – savor their exquisite ceviche
- Tambo – the best Peruvian
- Professional Computer Support – IT services for your business
Tell us about your favorite Hispanic-owned small businesses on Twitter.